How to Clean Mold Off of the Ceiling

Black mold is not only disgusting and unsightly, it also poses the risk of serious health hazards to humans. People who have allergies or breathing diseases or disorders, such as asthma or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), are extremely sensitive to the effects of black mold spores. Individuals who suffer from compromised immune systems are particularly prone to infections caused by black mold. People with transplanted organs, those undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer, and HIV patients all fit into this category. When the presence of black mold appears in areas spanning more than several square feet, or is suspected to be present behind the walls of a building, seeking professional help is recommended. You will have to resolve the problem that is causing the mold in order to prevent the condition from recurring. This formula works every bit as well as commercial mold cleaning chemicals, at just a fraction of the cost. Does this Spark an idea?

Things You'll Need

Disposable gloves and dust mask Eye protection Plastic bucket Stepladder Long-handled mixing spoon Chlorine bleach Laundry detergent Water Plastic spray bottle Scouring sponge Clean washcloth Anti-mold paint Paint brush or roller

Instructions
1
Identify the black mold by sight and smell. Black spots on the ceiling, signs of water damage, and stinky, musty, foul odor will be present. Open all the doors and windows that you can to ventilate the area.

2
Put on your disposable gloves, face mask and eye protection. Position the stepladder under the moldy spot on the ceiling. Pour a gallon of hot water into the plastic bucket.

Add 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach to the water in the bucket. Stir in 1/3 cup of powdered laundry detergent, or 3 oz. of liquid laundry detergent with the long-handled spoon. Blend the mixture thoroughly to dissolve the detergent. Pour some of the solution into a plastic spray bottle.

4
Take the spray bottle and the sponge with you as you climb the stepladder. Climb only as high as you absolutely have to for safety's sake. Spritz the cleaning mixture directly onto all of the visible mold. Use as little of the cleaning solution as necessary to avoid having excess fluid drip all over you.

5
Use the rough side of the scouring sponge to scrub the moldy area. The mold should come off easily. Rinse the sponge in clean water as needed.

6
Rinse the cleansed area of the ceiling very well with a clean washcloth and water. Allow the ceiling to dry completely.

7
Paint the room's entire ceiling with anti-mold paint to discourage the return of mold.

Tips & Warnings
A ceiling constructed with any porous material cannot be cleaned and will have to be replaced.

Never mix bleach with anything other than clean water or laundry detergent. The resulting fumes can be toxic or even explosive in some cases. Please consult a professional for help if the molded area extends beyond a few square feet. Never attempt to clean mold without wearing gloves, a dust mask and eye protection. If you are hypersensitive to mold spores, you should use a respirator instead of an ordinary dust mask.